Wednesday 31 October 2012

Third adjustment

Today I had my third braces adjustment, and it was the most painful out of all of my adjustments. The assistant prepped me and started taking the archwires out and then called the ortho over. The main focus of the appointment was looking at my right impacted maxillary canine, and on my lowers they're attempting to rotate one of my teeth (I think it's the second premolar). So basically the ortho told the assistant what to do and then left her to do it. When my oral surgeon exposed my impacted canine, he attached the chain to whichever part if the tooth he could get it on. Now that the canine has come down a bit, the ortho decided that it would be good to readjust where the chain was sitting so as to pull my canine in a different direction. So the assistant had to take off the button where the chain was attached.. And boy was that painful. It took her about 10 minutes of pulling and twisting and using all sorts of instruments to get it off. It felt like she was attempting to pull the canine out of my gums it was that painful. 

I'm not sure if I'm too happy that my ortho gave the assistant the instructions and then left her to do it all. Also at one point he was asking her what she thought they should do (maybe testing her knowledge????). I mean I trust my ortho and he had like 25 years experience and has a great reputation, but I wish he was more involved in the adjustments.

No comments:

Post a Comment